Saturday, February 23, 2008

Introducing Max

hello everyone I'm back !!

wow , what a day yesterday was , long , exhausting but wonderful and probably one of the greatest days of my life.

Stef and Evelin are now the proud parents of a wonderful , beautiful baby boy currently called Max ( it could change but I don't think it will) he arrived at 2.25 after 3 and half hours of active labour . he arrived face first into the world , Steve said it was amazing.


The whole labour was fantastic , I had the best midwife in the world , I'll never forget her.

do you know its possible to give birth without being give one internal exam or instruction ? well it is because I did it( and it probably saved me having a c-section because that's what usually happens with a face presentation), I felt so in control throughout the whole thing , I knew exactly what was happening to my body and just went with it, It was the most amazing experience of my life .

The hospital was fantastic , they gave us one of their biggest rooms, and worked so hard to give us our early discharge .Max couldn't be checked until 6 hours after his birth, which was 8.30pm sounded fine , but then we found out that 8.30 was Dr handover time it would be more like 9 - 9.30 , still not to bad at 10.30 we were informed that they had been called to a very sick baby on scbu and would be at least another hour . was this OK ?

we could have gone home and came back today to sit in the hospital for who knows how long to get the check done but that seemed silly so we waited. Dr eventually arrived about 11.30 and did his check and then we were free to go.

At any point it would have been so easy for them to say we'll just admit you for the night but they didn't , they treated us fantastically and went out of their way to make us comfortable. I cant fault them or thank them enough and I will be writing to let them know.

Steve was as always amazing , he is my rock and the silent one in all this without whom it wouldn't have been possible, and that little boy wouldn't have been in the world without him .

Stef and Eve were great , they let me do my thing , didn't fuss , panic , apologise and eventually found little roles to play to help me . Stef as a good hand to squeeze ( because Steve could only be one side lol) and Eve supplying sips of water between gas and air at the end . Hopefully they feel as though they played a part and I gave them a birth experience to remember for all the best reasons

It was really odd to be driving away from the hospital without a baby but oddly ok. I had just hugged my best friends , congratulated them on the birth of their son and told them to enjoy him . and I had made it all possible.

I have such a huge sense of pride about what I have done and will never regret it for one instant . I'll probably have a few hard days over the coming weeks but I will deal with them as they come knowing I have changed their lives forever and given them the greatest gift it is possible to give .

I'm going to leave it there because hormonal little old me is now crying like a baby onto the keyboard . I have so many thank you letters and cards to write to everyone who has been a part of this whole journey .

and this won't be the end of this blog I'll still let you know how things are progressing and maybe even share the next journey with you too


I'll leave you for now with a picture of what I have created - a brand new family !

2 comments:

Lisa said...

It is such an amazing thing what you have done. So glad the birth went so well and you were able to get home. The photo is gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

I feel I have followed your journey for so long now I wanted to say a huge....

Congratulations to you too - you have done something amazing and I am so pleased you were all able to have the birth experience you had been hoping so hard for.

Im guess your hormones will challenge you over the coming weeks, but you can hold onto the wonderful image in the photo and be so proud of what you have given to others.

Big hugs,
SallyL (from UKS)
xx