Thursday, June 22, 2006

A little history

I have always thought since I was 17 that surrogacy is something I could do. Its been there in the back of my mind for so many years then last summer It dawned on me that I don't want anymore babies but I love being pregnant and wasn't ready to never be pregnant again.... Maybe this was the time to fulfill a dream of mine . I thought about it read lots and thought some more . Got in touch with a great organization called surrogacy UK who sent me an information pack . A few days later on a journey that I knew would take an hour I asked Steve how he felt about it . Luckily and not totally to my surprise he was happy for me to go ahead .. Obviously he asked lots of questions and we talked for about 6 hours that day.

A few weeks later SUK were holding their agm and get together what a chance to find out more and meet the people involved so wee booked to attend . It was at that GT that we met S&E for the first time very briefly but it was enough for me to realize they were nice people .

I was originally intending to do Host surrogacy - that's where the IP's sperm and egg are fertilized via IVF and then implanted to me but at the GT having spoken to other surrogates I came around to thinking that I could do straight surrogacy- that's where we use my egg , his sperm and do home inseminations. If I could get my head around that fact that its just my egg not my baby it would be so much the easier option . I may want to help someone have a baby but I'm not crazy when I found out what IVF involved I was sure straight was the way to go.

a few short weeks later we had a mediation session in our own home with carol , one of the founders of SUK, she talked us through everything and made sure we were mentally prepared then it was just a case of STD tests and police checks and we were gold members . ready to find a couple and get started.

when we looked at the list of IP's S&E were the only ones we had met and Remembering they had seemed nice and after reading of everything they had been through in there quest to have a baby I decided that I wanted to get to know them better.

SUK isn't a matching service it relies strongly on friendship and says that you need to take at least 3 month before you decide if the couple are right for you. 3 months seemed like such a long time back then . The first time we met I knew that someday soon I would be trying to give them a baby.

as it is 6 , nearly 7 months on and it feels like I am ready . I haven't been ready sooner but our friendship is so good now that I know no matter what happens that friendship will remain for life and that is, by far, the most important thing in this they are my friends , my husbands friends my children think they are great and the feeling is mutual. Whatever happens for here on in we can handle it

No comments: